Planning Your Event Week
The Bank of America Chicago Marathon takes place on Sunday, October 9: See below for important event week events:
- Abbott Health & Fitness Expo on Friday, October 7 and Saturday, October 8. All Team IA athletes must attend to pick up their race packet/bib. Click HERE for additional information concerning the Expo.
- Team Imerman Angels Pasta Celebration on Saturday, October 8 at the Congress Plaza Hotel from 5 pm to 7 pm.
- Team Imerman Angles Halo Hospitality: Your Race Day VIP Hospitality on Sunday, October 9 opening at 5:00 am. And your friends and family are also invited to join you there after 9:30 am. It’s free for you and free for them!
If you are traveling to Chicago, please make sure that you are in Chicago in plenty of time to attend the Expo on either Friday or Saturday – we recommend planning on attending either on Friday or Saturday morning. For hotel information, click HERE.
The impact that each of you make for those impacted by cancer is amazing and appreciated. Your fundraising creates much needed funding for Imerman Angels to be able to provide 1-on-1 cancer support to cancer fighters, survivors and caregivers – all at no cost to the individual seeking it. Individuals are encouraged to set a fundraising goal that exceeds the fundraising minimum that each Team IA participant agreed to when they joined Team IA. See below for two fundraising resources:
The final month leading up to the Chicago Marathon is historically the best time to fundraise – you can easily reach your minimum in the weeks leading up to the event. If you are just starting with your fundraising, no problem. Take a look at the Fundraising Guide and develop your strategy which will only take a few minutes. Next, log in to your fundraising page (everyone created one when you joined the team) and personalize your page – plan to spend 20 minutes or so and you will have a great page (you can edit it at any time). If you still need to personalize your page, you can access your page by logging into the Team IA Chicago Marathon Donor Drive page by clicking HERE. Use the email address that you used in registering for Team IA (if you cannot recall your password, there is a recovery prompt).
If you are well into your fundraising and, perhaps, have reached your minimum or goal, don’t be afraid to raise the goal – every dollar your raise will have an immediate and tangible effect on those impacted by cancer. And every dollar is very much appreciated – you are making an enormous difference.
Our friends at Daily Planet, Ltd. have provided us with a great fundraising video that you can send along to all of our supporters. Click HERE to access it and see below for some tips on posting it on social media and also for how to use it it an email to your supporters. It’s a great tool to help you reach your minimum or, if you’re already past that, your fundraising goal! We recommend posting the video on Facebook, etc., but also sending along in a personalized email to each of your friends, family members, and colleagues.
- Click this link (or copy/paste to your browser): https://www.facebook.com/ImermanAngels/videos/10154235260019193/
- The video will appear on Facebook (as a post on the Imerman Angels Facebook page).
- Click “Share” below the video screen shot
- Personalize your post by adding a short message and your fundraising page link
- sample post: “I’m participating in the Chicago Marathon on October 9th for Imerman Angels – so that no one faces cancer alone. My goal is to help cancer fighters, survivors and caregivers get the help they need at the time they need it most and Imerman Angels does just that. Please support my efforts by donating at [INCLUDE the link to your personal fundraising page]
- if you have a more personal story or you are participating in honor of a friend, family member, etc., certainly include that.
- Click “Post”
- The video along with your message/post as well as your fundraising page will appear as a post on your Facebook page.
INCLUDING THE VIDEO IN YOUR EMAILS TO SUPPORTERS:
- Include the video in an email that you send along to your friends, family and colleagues.
- You can place the video as a photo (see attached) in the body of the email and embed the link in the photo – that way, the recipient can directly see the video by clicking from your email.
- if using gmail, insert photo into the body of the email
- once the photo is placed in the email body, right click the photo
- click the “insert link” icon
- a box below the picture will appear that reads: “Go to link”
- click “Change”
- insert link where prompted (“To what URL should this link go?”)
- An alternate method is to simply insert the link into the email without the photo such as:
- “The following film, How Do You Find An Angel?, gets to the heart of what Imerman Angels means to me and why I’m running 26.2 miles for Team IA. Click HERE and you’ll see why I’m inspired . . . and excited to make a difference”
- “The following film, How Do You Find An Angel?, gets to the heart of what Imerman Angels means to me and why I’m running 26.2 miles for Team IA. Click this link and you’ll see why I’m inspired . . . and excited to make a difference” : https://www.facebook.com/ImermanAngels/videos/10154235260019193/
See below for a sample email that you can personalize (you can copy and past the content below directly into an email and edit:
On October 9th, I’m participating in the Bank Of America Chicago Marathon for Imerman Angels. That morning, I will be on the start line in Chicago’s Grant Park ready to traverse 26.2 miles through the city in front of over a million spectators.
To give even extra meaning to the day, I am excited to be participating for a charity and a cause that means a great deal to me. I will be a member of Team Imerman Angels for the Chicago Marathon and am doing my best to raise crucial funds for Imerman Angels. Imerman Angels (www.imermanangels.org) is a not-for-profit, §501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to provide personalized connections that enable one-on-one support among cancer fighters, survivors, and caregivers. The goal is that no one should ever have to face cancer alone. It gives me extra motivation to know that my training miles this summer and fall as well as the Marathon itself will result in helping those impacted by cancer. Every $350 raised ensures that one more person doesn’t have to fight cancer alone.
The following film, “How Do You Find An Angel?, gets to the heart of what Imerman Angels means to me and why I’m running 26.2 miles for Team IA. Click the video screen below and you’ll see why I’m inspired . . . and excited to make a difference:
I need your help to get me to the finish line of the Chicago Marathon and I have set a goal to raise $_____. Through the generosity of my friends and family like you, I know I will succeed. Please consider making a contribution of $100, $75 or any amount you can afford on my online fundraising page by visiting [insert your fundraising link here] and clicking “Donate” or by sending a check to me made out to Imerman Angels. And, remember, no donation is too small. Don’t forget to ask your employer if they have a matching gift program, it’s another way to help me reach my goals.
Be on the lookout for updates and stories throughout on my Facebook page in the next month and on race day – and thank you in advance for your support.
The best fundraising incentive that can be offered is simply this: every time you raise $350, there is a cancer fighter or a caregiver to a cancer fighter that will be connected to a Mentor Angel. You make a huge difference in the lives of those impacted by cancer as do each of your donors. When you reach the finish line of the Chicago Marathon or the end of a training run, you can know that because of what you did or are doing – five, six . . . ten or more cancer fighters and caregivers are getting the help that they need at the time they need it most.
That said, we are happy to provide incentive prizes as a sort of “thank you” to each of you for all you are doing. Here they are:
- Meet Your Minimum. We all agreed to reach our minimum and when you do, you will receive your appreciation gift at the Chicago Marathon Race Weekend which includes an awesome 2016 Chicago Marathon – Team Imerman Angels commemorative soft cotton, gender specific t-shirt (our graphics team is cooking up this years design to be unveiled in mid-September) and a surprise gift or two.
- Raise $2500. Each team member who raise $2500 will have made it possible for seven (!) cancer fighters and/or caregivers to be matched with a Mentor Angel. And we want to recognize that great gift you are providing with a cozy Team Imerman Angels hoodie – you can wear this all year long and help raise awareness as well.
- Raise $5000. Yep, doing the same math as above means that anyone who reaches this level will have matched fourteen (!!) cancer fighters and/or caregivers to a Mentor Angel. You’ll receive the ultimate Team Imerman Angels gym bag for all your workouts.
- Raise $10,000. If you pass the $5000 level and can reach $10,000, you can pick either a FitBitBlaze or a GoPro. We’ll order it and send along to you so you can record your runs on your wrist or film them from your Go Pro.
And, all prizes are cumulative meaning that you are able to claim your incentive at each level.